Small businesses across the country are hoping to pack their stores on Small Business Saturday and according to the Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey, shoppers are excited to “shop small.”
The survey reveals that 55% of consumers are aware of Small Business Saturday, which occurs every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and 83% say that even motivates them to support local businesses all year long.
Whether it’s the crowds on Small Business Saturday or throughout the holiday season make sure to keep your retail customers and your business safe with these tips:
- Change your passwords. If you haven’t changed your computer passwords in a while, before the holiday rush is a good time to do so. Make sure your passwords are both complex and unique.
- Update the antivirus and antispyware software on your computers in your store or retail location.
- Keep any sensitive customer or company information safe. Shred any documents you no longer need and invest in encryption and tokenization to protect customer card data.
- Never ask customers for personal information unless you need it to complete a transaction or provide a service.
- Guard your company’s financial information. Separate your personal and business bank accounts to ensure that if someone gains unlawful access to one, the other will be safe. Make sure your passwords for the two are different too!
As a trusted partner for your business, we’re here to help! Check out Vantiv’s security resources and check back for more tips.
And we wish you a successful Small Business Saturday.
Michele Herron, VP of SMB Marketing