In an effort to enhance the integrity of recurring authorizations for digital wallets, Visa (already released; action required) and Discover (upcoming) have a new requirement which adds a recurring indicator and original transaction ID for recurring transactions.
The new elements are currently available in schema versions V8.30, V9.10, and V10.5, so merchants can code for their use now. For merchants using Vantiv Recurring Engine, the changes were activated after the Jan. 5, 2017 kit install.
NOTE: Merchants processing recurring transactions on the Vantiv eCommerce platform who do not implement these changes will begin to see Visa and Discover recurring transactions for digital wallets decline. For Visa, this also applies to initial installments.
What Merchants Need To Do
- Upgrade XML for this new feature. This will require merchants to use pre-live to submit one of each payment/transaction types they currently support for their business to certify to the new XML version. There is no test in pre-live for Visa recurring for digital wallets.
- Code for three new additional fields:
- <processingType> set to initialRecurring, submitted on the first transaction in the recurring stream along with the Cryptogram. For Visa only, <processingType> set to initialInstallment must also be set.
- <originalNetworkTransactionId> For Visa (currently enforced) and Discover (future release), the XML response to the merchant will include this value in order to create a reference to the original transaction. Each subsequent recurring transaction will need to include this field.
- The merchant will need to retain this value, which will be used when they submit all subsequent transactions in the recurring stream.
- <originalTransactionAmount>, the amount from the initial transaction in a recurring stream. This is a requirement for Discover transactions, but can be included in the schema for all as it will not reject.
For more information on this topic, please go to the Vantiv O.N.E. developer website:https://developer.vantiv.com/thread/1687.
Please contact your Vantiv eCommerce merchant or partner relationship manager if you have any questions.