Oct. 18, 2016 Update: Vantiv has completed our Host Certification with MasterCard and our platforms support the MasterCard 2-series BIN range.
The Program: MasterCard is adding new primary account bank identification number (BIN) range 222100-272099 this October to be processed with and in the same manner as the existing BIN range 510000-559999.
The Change: The payments ecosystem must be ready to support the 2-series MasterCard BINs by Oct. 14, 2016.
The Impact: Merchants must be able to accept this new MasterCard BIN range in both card-present and card-not-present payment acceptance channels.
The Timing: Oct. 14, 2016; Note
Other Key Information to Note:
- As of Oct. 14, 2016, all third-party processors and acquirers (like Vantiv) need to be compliant and ready to start processing MasterCard cards starting with a 2 and have the ability for merchants to test.
- Merchants and partners need to be sure they add these changes to their 2016 development or update schedules.
- Merchants that use a third-party processor, shopping cart, terminal provider, etc. need to work with them to be sure they are ready to support MasterCard cards starting with a 2.
- It is highly recommended that merchants test with Vantiv to be sure they are compliant.
- This is a major initiative at MasterCard, and hefty fines will be assessed to all merchants that are not able to accept cards starting with a 2.
- Effective June 2017, MasterCard will begin conducting field tests and any merchants they find that cannot properly support and accept a 2-series card will be fined up to $25,000 – per month – until they are compliant.
If you have any questions, please contact your Vantiv eCommerce merchant or partner relationship manager.
Additionally, you can reference a MasterCard FAQ document on this topic by clicking here.