Several reseller executives have asked me to review their job postings recently, and I've noticed an area they’re consistently missing the mark. The ads present professionally and include pertinent information about the position, but they don’t “communicate the employer brand.” Nothing in the ad set the reseller apart from the other companies on the job board and made them attractive to the right kind of candidate.
Presenting the job duties are important, but so is promoting your brand so special candidates are drawn to your organization. Here's some language from my prior employer (Jameson Publishing) that was our attempt at promoting our brand:
We are a different kind of company, and we’re different by design. We publish national business magazines and websites that serve thousands of readers in North America. We sell the advertising, write the articles, and manage the circulation. We do it all except print the magazine. (We leave that to our commercial printer. The ink would ruin our clothes.)
We hire uncommon people. Jameson team members embrace challenges and competition, innovate to exceed customer expectations, and strive for honesty and high integrity. We believe a force of enthusiastic, loyal, ambitious co-workers is our #1 competitive advantage and is the foundation to our company’s long-term success. Spend a few minutes on our website to learn more about the Jameson culture. Even if you’ve never sold an ad or written an article, Jameson Publishing could be the right place for you.
The outcome of your job post (and the “Careers” section on your website) should be to influence the right people to apply and to dissuade bad fits from applying. The best guidance I’ve seen for job posting best practices comes from the University of Cincinnati’s Debbie Hatke. She says a great job post:
- Should catch your attention
- Provides the W-I-I-F-M (What’s In It For Me?)
- Communicates the employer brand
- Is clear and compelling
- Avoids jargon
- Provides clear instructions for applying
To make these concepts clearer, allow me to share a job posting that I helped create for a reseller who was hiring a new sales rep. (Names and contact information have been changed.)
SALES REPRESENTATIVE / SALES ENGINEER
Freeman Technology Solutions, a leading provider of restaurant point of sale systems, is seeking a high-initiative, growth-oriented Sales Representative or Sales Engineer to expand our presence in Northern California. This is an excellent opportunity for a hard-working strategic thinker who desires to make an impact with our customers and our growing business.
Success in this full-time sales role could lead to expanded responsibilities in sales management for our company. This is an entrepreneurial opportunity for the right kind of person.
Headquartered in Long Beach, Freeman Technology Solutions has provided technology expertise to restaurants throughout Southern California since 2007. We install, service, and support point of sale, networking, and audio/video technologies. We specialize in a mix of old and new technology to provide solutions that help our clients achieve higher levels of productivity. We’re proud that our efforts have resulted in a customer retention rate of 100%, and we blush when we read customer emails that say “Your team is terrific!” and “We’re a perfect partnership!”
Word-of-mouth has propelled Freeman Technology Solutions to its strong position today, and our new Sales Representative/Sales Engineer is expected to launch our outbound sales effort. This will be a high-impact, demanding position with many responsibilities. This person will need to wear many hats and take a long-term view of helping elevate our business to the next level.
Duties include lead generation through networking, cold calling, and following up on inquiries generated by our marketing efforts; closing sales; developing and implementing strategic sales plans and forecasts to achieve company objectives; and developing and managing inside and outside sales processes.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A history of meeting and exceeding sales goals
- Acumen and ability to grow beyond the role of salesperson and act like a business owner would
- Passion and self-motivation; a strong desire to learn about our offerings and each customer’s needs
- Strong communication skills; the ability to listen to a customer and explain how we can help them
- Strong desire to work for a small company where your opinion matters
- Restaurant management experience
- Ties to the San Francisco/Sacramento area
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes base salary plus commission and generous benefits. For more information about our company, please visit us at FreemanSolutions.com or call Darryl at 555-474-5683. To apply for the Sales Representative/Sales Engineer position, please email your resume to Darryl.Freeman@FreemanSolutions.com.
Let’s tie this job posting back to the best practices:
- Should catch your attention: “Sales Engineer” stands apart from the sea of “Sales Rep” job postings and shows the job has a technical angle
- What’s In It For Me?: Full-time job, competitive compensation, generous benefits, entrepreneurial opportunity, possible sales management
- Communicates the employer brand: Technology experts since 2007, 100% customer retention, regional ties, small company, positive customer emails
- Is clear and compelling: These phrases will help attract above-average applicants: high-initiative, growth-oriented, hard-working, strategic thinker, entrepreneurial opportunity, high-impact, demanding position, wear many hats, take a long-term view, help elevate our business to the next level
- Avoids jargon: Notice how we spell out “point of sale” and “audio/visual” instead of using the acronyms POS and A/V. There are zero acronyms in this ad, and that’s intentional.
- Provides clear instructions for applying: Offers name, phone number, and a personal email address (vs. a generic email like info@FreemanSolutions.com)
If you’re a Vantiv reseller or ISV partner, I’m happy to review your job postings and help you attract candidates who will elevate your organization. Just contact your Account Manager to see how you can connect with me and take advantage of Vantiv’s PaymentsEdge Advisory Services.