How To Know If iPad Credit Card Processing Is Right For You
Looking for a fast, simple way to begin accepting card payments? It’s easier than you think—and you may already have the device you need to do it—an iPad tablet.
Using an iPad is a quick, easy, and secure way to accept credit cards. And — yes — you’ll need an app in order to do it. Specifically, you’ll need a payment processing app. Depending on the payment processor you work with, the app may offer different features and functionality. There are several reasons why businesses are increasingly using iPads to take card payments. Let’s take a look.
Features and benefits of iPad credit card processing
By using an iPad in conjunction with a payments app, you are no longer limited to taking customers’ payments within the four walls of your business. You can accept payments on the road at pop-up shops, farmer’s markets, music festivals, trade shows, even at customers’ residences.
iPad credit card processing offers a simple, secure way to accept card payments, and is a great way to meet the expectations of today’s consumers wherever they buy. The features and benefits of using an iPad to accept payments—at either your business’ brick and mortar location or offsite—are numerous. Here’s a quick reference list:
- Accept cash, magnetic stripe and chip cards, contactless payments, and gift cards
- Apply discounts, taxes and accept gratuity on the spot
- Accept online orders for pickup in person
- Track, adjust and transfer inventory across all business locations
- Generate invoices and facilitate recurring payments
- Access real-time transaction data and deposits
- Keep your customers’ sensitive data secure and protected throughout a transaction
- Run transactions when you are out of range of a WiFi or cellular data connection using “Offline Mode”; transactions are then processed once a network connection is reestablished
- Print receipts for customers on demand or send via SMS text message or email
- Manage employee schedules, timecards, permissions, and payroll
- Create customer profiles for rewards and loyalty programs
Secure your iPad for in-store payments
Using an iPad to accept payments allows you to take your business on-the-go. But the sleek design and simple interface also make iPads an ideal option for use in-store. All you need is a stand to convert your iPad into a countertop POS station. The iPad then works like a traditional POS system, but takes up much less space. And since the tablet is securely attached to the counter, the risk of theft or damage is greatly reduced.
Depending on the type of business you run and whether or not you take payments predominantly onsite or offsite, you can pick and choose from a variety of payments peripherals. These include receipt printers, cash drawers, bar code scanners, contactless/chip card readers, and more. You can even start with one or two of these peripherals and add on as needed.
What types of businesses are using an iPad to accept payments?
Nearly any type of business can use an iPad for payment processing, from coffee shops and quick service restaurants to retailers and independent boutiques. It’s also a convenient payment solution for in-house service providers such as landscapers, window and roof installers, home and appliance repair services, plumbers and electricians. iPad payment solutions make sales easy for merchants that operate year-around as well as seasonally such as catering departments, hospitality businesses, and fine artisans.
Any tools that help streamline business is a plus. Since an iPad can be transformed into a point of sale device within just a few hours or days depending on the payment processor, it’s an attractive alternative to investing in a dedicated, countertop point of sale machine. You simply need to download the credit card processing app and attach a card reader to the headphone jack of the device to get started.